Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Songs for the Sad

In an attempt to try to purge my blues, I downloaded a few songs to my MP3 player and have played them over and over. I've developed a new habit of walking after work. Whereas the last couple weeks I was trying to hide my hideous face, this week I am Ubiquitous Woman. I'm not hurried either; I have no plans and no set path. I'm wandering and I'm thinking and I'm looking around. Truthfully, most times my eyes are down. I'm consumed in my own thoughts and trying not to trip over the uneven and buckled cobblestone that form the sidewalks here. Truly, I think if I landed on my forehead one more time I would die.

So, if you're interested in wallowing, or staring at the sky with tear-filled eyes, check out these songs. I give you "Songs for the Blech:"

Sour Suite by The Guess Who. I can't tell you how often this song has been running though my head the past week. I eventually fall asleep to it, I wake up to it, and it plays all day. I sing it when I'm not trying to impart the English language during the day. Check out the cello and the strings. Awesome melancholy.

My Immortal by Evanescence. I'd never even heard of this band before I googled "saddest songs ever" last week. But yesterday after the typhoon had let up, I stood stock still in the middle of a street watching the clouds whip by a full brilliant moon as this song played through my earbuds. I shoved those suckers in so deep they almost went right into my brain. The moment was profound. Yah, I leaked. Yah, I looked cuckoo. But I didn't give a shit. I played it again.

Mad World by Gary Jules (original by Tears for Fears, and from the "Donnie Darko" soundtrack.) So much more sad than the original one, this song puts the "wah" in "call me a 'wahmbulance.'"
"I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, but the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had." No kidding!

Wallflower by Peter Gabriel. Definitely not well known unless you've followed him forever, "Wallflower" sadly describes a person locked away in a mental institution. Heartbreaking, yet hopeful. The album from which this comes is brilliant, by the way. "Security." Go get it.

The Flag by the Barenaked Ladies. Along with "Sour Suite," here's another Canadian entry. It's my go-to sad song. I listened to it 1,396 times in the summer of '92 and it still hits me as hard as it did back then. Beautiful song.

Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone by Al Green (Bill Withers, Marvin Gaye.) Listen to the drums in the "I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,..." part. I love it. This song was well placed in a Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts movie I can't remember the name of, but he walks through a market in London through the seasons, bemoaning his love lost. The woman in the first shot who's pregnant has had her baby by the last shot. Well done. Did you catch that?

Speaking of well placed songs in film, Driver's Seat by Sniff N' The Tears was excellently placed in "Boogie Nights." It's not a sad song, but it kicks ass, and might lift you out of your funk for a few moments. The lyrics are all differently noted on the internet, but I like the above mentioned ones the best:
"Jenny was sweet
She always smiled for the people she meet
On trouble and strife:
She had another way of looking at life."

Sums it up nicely, and I always do, or at least I try to, (smile) even if I've been faking it lately.

Giving credit where it's due, this post was inspired by the wonderfully written Everything Is Wrong With Me. Occasionally he does a "Six Songs" post. Even though I've got six plus one songs in mine, I wasn't going to rip his title off. I couldn't. He's great. Visit him six hindred and sixty six times plus one.

6 comments:

SweetSarahJ said...

My favorite sad music is Hayden. He's like a severly depressed Jack Johnson. Good songs by him are "Bad as they seem", "Stem", "In September", "Skates". Really the whole album entitled "Everything I long for" is great... "skates" ALWAYS makes me cry. Hope you'll feel better soon. I missed Kamikaze this weekend!

sher said...

The film was Notting Hill--I thought Ain't No Sunshine was perfect there. It's on my iPod.

John McCrarey said...

Stay strong. Remember, everybody hurts sometimes. So hang on...

(REM reference intentional)

Nomad said...

Some moping music, a la Nomad:

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
Silent Lucidity - Queensryche
Don't Believe Anymore - Icehouse
All We Are - Kim Mitchell
The Same Deep Water as You - The Cure
When the Smoke is Going Down - Scorpions

Jelly said...

Thank you, everyone. I uploaded all the songs you mentioned this evening and walked around in the soupy weather listening to them.

Nomad - "All We Are" is such a great song. The other guy who sings with Kim can really belt one out, eh?

Nomad said...

I was the master of mope. Look up "moping" in the dictionary and you'll find my picture. I'm surprised you were able to find a couple of those songs. All We Are is pretty old (1984) and Icehouse did have a few hits in the states but that song wasn't one of them.