Friday, November 20, 2009

Back and Blue

Man, I sure did fall off the blogging wagon, eh?

Truth be told, I've got about six started and either not finished or not published entries sitting in my folder. I'll have a look through them but it's doubtful I'll do much more than delete them. No doubt they're all rubbish.

There have been times in the past where I've been out around town and looked up to see someone I know - a good old friend. A blast from the past. A person I haven't spoken to in ages. And, instead of hurrying up to them and tapping them on the shoulder to greet them with a big smile and a "Hey!! How are you doing? It's been TOO LONG!" I turn and duck behind a building. I slither away. I run as quickly and as quietly as I can in the opposite direction hoping my friend won't recognize the back of me as I flee.

It just feels like too much has happened. It has indeed been TOO LONG. It would require too much energy to slap on a smile and try to explain all that happened between the time I last saw them and now.

It sort of feels like that with this blog. And, it's not even been three weeks since my last post. Weird, eh?

Thank you to the people who commented or sent me an e-mail wondering when the hell I was going to write something again. I want to apologize, especially to Kevin, who remains a good friend to me, expressing concern even when he's got so much more concerning things going on in his life. I really am an idiot sometimes. It was only this morning that it occurred to me that I could have sent him an e-mail telling him I'm alright, even if I didn't feel like writing anything on this blog. Total duh.

I'm sort of alright.

Earlier this week I missed a window of opportunity to write when I was feeling downright fantastic. On Tuesday and Wednesday I was clear headed and energetic. I kept commenting to my students and co-workers about how great I felt. It was just such a dramatic difference in the way I had been feeling for weeks and weeks before. I still had the shingles, which technically aren't even shingles anymore. I've now got post herpetic neuralgia, which is kinda sorta like Shingles: The Sequel. Or the third installment in the Chicken Pox Trilogy. It's just easier to keep calling it Shingles. There are too many syllables in post herpetic neuralgia, and no one knows what the hell I'm talking about when I say it. Granted, not too many people knew what I was talking about when I would tell them I had shingles either, which is called "teh-sang po-jin" in Korean. So I was just saying "soo-doo part two" (chicken pox ii) which sounds cute.

But anyways, despite the shingles and perhaps boosted by the drugs I'm sill taking which include oxycontin and an anti-drepressant, I was skipping merrily along for two days this week until Wenesday evening at 7 o'clock when I stopped mid-sentence and told my class, "Man, I've got a headache!" Thirty minutes later I had the students open their workbooks and get their pencils out because my throat was hurting too much to continue speaking. By the time I left work at 8:15 my teeth were chattering and I was shivering from a chill that was coming from inside my bones. Back home at 9:30 my temperature was up to 38.9 - about 102°F. Can you guess where this is heading?

When I say "H" you say "1!" (H-1, H-1!) When I say "N," you say "1!" (N-1, N-1!)

It's not for sure, but it's probably almost surely and hopefully for sure that I've gone and caught the dreaded H1N1. Every week there are more kids coming down with the 'shin-jeon inplooenza" at my school, and it was just a matter of time, really. For sure I've got some kind of flu, but I'm not going to know if it's H1N1 until Monday morning. I said "hopefully" by the way, because since I have the flu - I want it to be swine flu so I can have it over and done with and not have to worry about getting it anymore. I'm taking Tamiflu plus fourteen other pills a day for whatever kind of flu it is I do have - and to be honest, it's not that bad. I'm not feeling too horrible at all. I'm just exhausted again and have already nodded off three times while typing this. Last night I decided I'd have a nap and figured I'd be down for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half. I wanted to try to eat some soup after my nap because I hadn't managed to eat anything all day. I didn't even bother turning off the television or turning out any lights. I woke up with the sun shining on my face almost 10 hours later.

I didn't go to work yesterday, and I'm not going again today. I'm sure my co-workers just adore me. In some weird demonstration of empathy my computer decided to die on Wednesday night as well. Luckily, my boyfriend showed up Thursday morning with his PC which he set up before driving me to the hospital, so I'm not entirely quarantined from the rest of the world.

In between naps I will march right up to this blog and say "Hey! It's been TOO LONG!"

We WILL catch up. I promise.


Kevin Kim said...

Ugh. Sorry to hear about this new development. I suppose it's not that surprising, though, if you're already immunodepressed from everything else that's going on.

Forgive the awful pun, but H1N1 is nothing to sneeze at, especially for our age group. Please do what you can to take care of yourself.

I'm glad that you at least had two very good days; here's hoping you have even more.

Get well soon!


Foreigner Joy said...

I hope after you recover from this flu thing that all symptoms cease. I can't imagine being that sick for too long...although I have been in the past. And working at the same time! I don't know how you do it. I would have packed up long ago.

Weve said...

Oh Jelly! I'm so sorry to hear that you might also have the flu. Gosh it's been a long ordeal for you. Positive thoughts and hugs!

Diana E. said...

Holy crap... that's scary. I have a massive scar on my forehead from a chicken pock and certainly no desire to repeat that part of my life.

Feel better swine flu victim.

Mike Bohemoth said...

Jelly, I am sorry to hear you're not doing well. You seem pretty tough, just write your way through it when you can. If it's any encouragement, I think a lot of people come to you blog hoping for an update...whether it's good news or bad news it's always written well and gives me the laugh I need to get through the rest of my day. You're awesome, I hope you feel better soon.

I wonder if you're feeling shitty as a result of using the painkillers for your condition or coming off them. I also had a similar virus that was characterized as a rare second occurrence of chicken pox (they even brought in some residents to gape at how close it was to my optic nerve). Horrid and painful, I know...I had to cook over a hot stove at a busy restaurant while the virus was working its painful magic on my face. The doctor felt bad for me and prescribed a monster dosage of Vicodin three times daily. What he didn't tell me is that after I ran out, I might experience some of the bizarre psychological effects of withdrawal.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Looking forward to many awesome holiday posts.

John said...

Well, just so you know, I had to go get an entirely new google login ID so I could leave this here comment. But of course, you are worth it!

Hope you are feeling better these days Jen. I miss seeing updates here and I'm still waiting to here how you like the new boss.

Hope to hear from you soon!