Wednesday, October 19, 2005

I Got Music

Sweet, sweet music.

I went tonight with my I-River T10 MP3 player and 6 of the 36 pages of English manual I managed to print out at work today, to the Korean PC Bang (internet cafe) to get my groove on. Though the computer was in hangul, the figuring out of things wasn't TOO difficult. I loaded up Windows Media Player ver10 in English, and then loaded the MP3 player's disc, and then hit Limewire to do some searching. Things were slow going at first. I was absolutely overwhelmed at having my choice of just about anything. Holy kid in a candy store, Batman!

Had I been a meticulous "list maker" I would have written down every song I've ever loved. If I were organized, I might have even catalogued them into specific genres with "era" sub-categories. I'm not like that, though. And I love music, so my compiled lists would make for a lotta paper.

So instead, I downloaded "free-style" and just let my mind wander, typed in specific songs or, more often, artists, and picked one or 2 songs. I suppose a lot of people really heavily identify the music of the time they "grew up" in (I'd say highschool or university) and I'm no different, though I also really love the music of my formative years and everything after. I was googling 80's music, and came across some truly barfy "top hits" lists, like this, or this. But I finally figured out I could go to the source for my music, and struck gold with THIS! CFNY 102.1 radio in Toronto was, as far as I was concerned, the coolest of the cool, and featured really progressive exciting kick-ass music.

When they finally make a movie about my life, it will have a massive soundtrack with a lot of those songs. Except for 1989, where even THEY admit they sucked-ass.

All in all, I spent about 4 hours gathering music at the PC Bang. I had a very short anxiety attack when it looked like nothing was going to upload to the MP3, but the nice Korean girl and I sorted it out (one of the programs just needed to update itself so it could sync properly) and it was all good. I filled up just over 5 hours of the allotted 34 hours of music with 73 songs. I'll be rockin out on my way to work tomorrow.

I'm quite bummed, though, that in my hurry to leave this afternoon, I jammed the 2 necklaces I always wear into my pocket, and one of them somehow managed to fall out between my apartment and the school. It was my long silver box-chain and the brushed solid silver pendant my boss just gave me for my birthday last month. Sucky. Serves me right for criticizing her last post.

When I was living in Japan, and my brother and uncle were visiting me, they laughed about the fact that a 1,000 yen note (about 10 bucks Cdn.)had been encased in a ziplock bag and taped to the wall in the stairway with a note, so the person who lost it could re-claim it. I could be wrong, but I don't think I'm going to see that kind of action here. I am going to ask my boss to call the building management tomorrow, just in case anyone turned it in. What a drag, I really loved that necklace.

Speaking of jewelry, I will finish off telling the story of the underwater $8,000 diamond soon. I know you're on the edge of your seats.

No comments: