Saturday, July 22, 2006

Amelia Bedelia Goes to the Movies

My mind has been distracted for the last two and a half weeks now. I haven't been sleeping well, often going to sleep when we're well into morning and even then waking up a bunch of times and having a hard time getting back to sleep. Most days, I've been walking around on four or five hours of zzzz's.

I found a name and phone number on a scrap of paper in some jeans the other night and couldn't recall where I'd gotten it. I called my friend and asked her if she recognized the name. We had met a bunch of men a couple nights previous and they had given me their business cards, but I didn't remember a scrap of paper. "This name," I asked, "Is it a boy's or a girl's name?"
"Sounds like a girl's name."
"Hm?"

Then my boss asked me two days ago about a woman I'd run into near the school who was an English Lit major at university. She wanted to meet me sometime for a coffee and a chat, and I was in a bit of a hurry, but gave her my telephone number. The next day, she was in the lobby of my school's building waiting for me, saying she had called the night before, but I didn't answer. "Oh!" I said, "I got home late!" So she gave me a scrap of paper with her number on it.

Funny thing is, before my boss mentioned it, she had been absolutely removed from my memory. And still it took two days to connect that scrap of paper now on my night table to the woman. I finally connected it all today while trying to clean up. I'm usually not so absent minded!

Actually I had a conversation with someone back in Canada the other night - and now I can't remember who it was, but they'd asked me if I'd seen any good movies lately. I watch a lot of movies. Suddenly, I couldn't remember a single movie I'd seen in recent weeks, either good or bad. Nada. Thinking about it now, I remember a British movie with an almost unrecognizable Rufus Wainwright.

Anyhow, because I'll probably forget about it in a couple hours, I just finished watching Sixteen Blocks, with Bruce Willis. I thought it was great. I agreed with a review on IMDB, "definitely one of the best dirty cop movies I've seen in a long time." (Or the quote was something like that.) If you've seen the movie, you'll know the answer to this, but if you haven't:

There's a big hurricane and you're driving your car and come to a bus stop where three people are waiting. There's an old woman who's really ill and probably going to die if she doesn't get to a hospital. There's your best friend in the world who has saved your life before. And, there's the woman (or man) of your dreams. You've only got room for one in your car. What do you do?

I also remember watching "The 40 Year Old Virgin," a few weeks back with C. When watching the "waxing" scene I laughed so hard I was in tears!

No comments: