Saturday, May 24, 2008

Good-Bye Good-Boy

I'm pretty sure Buddy: The Good Boy didn't pull through. I didn't see his corpse (thankfully) but I stopped to talk to the man who owns the land where Buddy, Circle-Gay and Big Jindo Puppy all hang out. I mentioned Buddy was so sick, and he said he knew. I asked what was wrong, and he said he didn't know. I said it was a shame, because he is such a good boy, and when I asked where he was the man bent to look in the dog house Buddy and Circle-Gay share. He wasn't there, and the man then told me "Maybe he's there," and pointed up to the sky. I sadly nodded in agreement. He probably was up in Doggy Heaven. The last time I'd seen him he seemed not to want to lie down even though he could barely stand. I wondered if he was hesitating, thinking he wouldn't ever get up again. I gave the note to his "owner" the following day, and he nodded and told me it was okay to take Buddy to the vet, but Buddy wasn't around. I never saw him again.
Photobucket

On Wednesday this past week, Buddy and Circle-Gay's dog house was gone.

In fact, I hadn't seen Circle for a long time, and when I asked that sky-pointing man where he was, he said maybe Circle was in the sky as well. That turned out not to be true, as Circle-Gay re-appeared on Wednesday night and followed me all the way home. He's skinnier than before, but has a great appetite and wolfed down a bowl of dog food in about a minute once we reached my apartment. I was worried that he'd caught what Buddy had, if it was a virus after all. It seems like Circle made scarce while Buddy was dying.

I don't blame him.

1 comment:

Michael Lehet said...

Poor Buddy....at least he had a good friend like you while he was here!