Friday, March 23, 2007

I Wonder if It's Silly

I can't stop thinking about my students' family. I can't imagine what it would feel like to lose everything you own, but I look around at my apartment and realize there's no reason it couldn't happen to me. I'd be so screwed. I don't have a lot of friends here - in person, but I've got some online expatriate pals, and I could write a post or two on some forums. Is it ridiculous to try to drum up some contributions? I think sometimes people might not think about the opportunity to give of themselves - to be generous - for no reason other than being kind and empathetic.

What do you think?

I'd like my boss to contact the mom and ask if there's something we can do, but she's so timid. I don't know why. She said she'll call after some time's passed, but I told her now is probably the best time. Now is probably when they could use some help. I asked her to think about calling on my behalf. Tell her that her kids' teacher is concerned. I think I'll bug everyone again tomorrow, and keep bugging them until something happens.

I've done it myself before: not said anything because I didn't know what to say. And I felt so ashamed afterwards. These days I want to do something, say something, help someone. Try to make up for the times I didn't act up when I should have. I want to help. Anyone else think they might too?

4 comments:

Bohemian in Korea said...

Hmmm, I know how you feel but here in Korea 'helping' someone can be tricky. It is often the case that people don't want to cause someone to lose 'face' so they ignore the problem. A family that has an autistic child that they sent away will often not count that child when talking about their family. Friends and neighbors who know better will reinforce and support this fiction in measure to keep them from losing 'face'.

Unknown said...

As you said, sooner is better. It is awkward to wait, but positive thoughts are always appreciated.
Koreans are not always comfortable accepting charity, but gifts are welcome (especially cash).

Kevin Kim said...

I second what John said. I can either PayPal you or wire cash to your bank account.


Kevin

eva said...

Go with your heart!
If I can do anything to help - let me know. :)
e