Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Learned Me Something New

Hey! Remember when I made some "mock ricotta?" I was reading a blog that I really enjoy - RunJenRun, and in her latest post she talks about making cheese. Paneer, to be specific. And you know what? That's pretty much the same recipe and technique I used to make fake ricotta!

I googled "paneer recipe" and found out that indeed, what I'd made (and have made a couple more times since) was paneer! Here's a recipe! I skipped the pressing of the cheese, so mine did come out more ricotta-ish - than, say feta-ish. I still can't find cheesecloth, so I ended up cutting up a clean yellow T-shirt I bought last summer and never wore. Next time, I'm going to try squishing the hell out of it and see if I like that better. The paneer recipe site suggests crumbling it up over a curry - which I think I'll try sometime soon.

Now you should go visit Charles over at Liminality now and read about his lastest adventures in producing the world's best baguette!

2 comments:

Maven said...

Yep! If you press the curds and let it sit... that's paneer! And if you press the curds, cut them and immerse them in a warm bath of salt water and try stretching it, that's mozzerella. I need to make this stuff!!

sher said...

Oh yeah!! One of the classic Indian dishes is paneer cut in cubes and served in a curry. Yumm!! It's wonderful!