Thursday, February 16, 2006

I'm OK

I didn't really intend to take a break from my dear blog. I opened up the posting page numerous times over the last few days and stared at the blank screen for awhile before confirming what I already knew: I had nothing to say.

That's not entirely true. I've got lots I could say. I'm just not motivated to say it. Or I don't know how to properly organize my thoughts into any level of coherency. We'll see if I can manage to properly pull out of my slump in the coming days. Truthfully, I am sloth-like. I should be living in a tree in South America. I'm more tired than I have any right to be. I come home, tuck my massive cat into the fold of my arm, and sleep for 2 or 3 hours. Then I wake up, watch TV for a couple hours, and go back to sleep.

Happy Belated Valentines Day! (Or, as I like to call it, "Valentines Schmalentines Day!")

In Korea, there are 2 days set up for friends and lovers to bestow gifts on one another. Valentines is the first, and is meant for womenfolk to show their man they care by giving them chocolate. C-H-O-C-O-L-A-T-E. I gave some of my little boy students candy yesterday, and it was noted that it was NOT chocolate.

Exactly a month after Valentines Day is "White Day," where men reciprocate by giving their ladies candy. C-A-N-D-Y. I have to clarify if white chocolate is ok on White Day. Should be, eh?

Anyhow. I'd like to thank Cathy, over at
My Little Kitchen for the unexpected and wonderful gift she sent my way a couple weeks ago. I had sent her a tiny little gift at Christmastime, as a little thank you for hosting Blogging By Mail 3. She did a GREAT job, and really made it fun for me. I thought that updating and going through all the e-mails she surely got must have been time-consuming. I really didn't expect anything in return, but was so stoked to get a box full of goodies! Check it out:
Image hosting by Photobucket
It was a box full of Valentines treats for the kids! There was a box of Disney girl-heroines for my little girls, and so cool little sports themed cards for the little boys. (For the boys, there were little foil covered chocolates that looked like baseballs, basketballs, and soccer balls you insert into the holes in the cards. The boys loved them! The girls' cards folded in half, and were secured by a little heart shaped sticker. I slid a heart shaped foil covered chocolate on the inside.) There were enough cards for all the kids in the first 10 classes! Cathy also sent enough chocolate and little candy hearts for ALL of the students. THANK YOU!!!

I'll tell you, it really made me happy to give the kids Valentines treats, and gave me the opportunity to tell them about Valentines Day when I was their age, and the fact that we don't have "White Day" in Canada in the States, so giving the girls treats was fine. (The kids then asked what other holidays we don't have: "Teacha, Peppero Day? (Chocolate Covered Cookie Day, Nov. 11th) Samgyupsal Day? (Grilled Pork Belly, March 3rd) Jajamyun Day? (Noodles with Black Sauce, April 14th) Nurungii Day? (Burnt Rice Day, the 8th of every month.)"

Uhhhhh. "No, no, no, no!"

Today, when I went into my 2nd class, though, I got annoyed. I saw 2 bags of the candy hearts I'd given the last classes, in the garbage! I asked the Korean teacher what happened, and she said two of the boys didn't like the smell of them, so they threw them away. (They were the very popular brand "Sweet Tarts" candy hearts, with little messages on them.) I LOVE those candies. I ranted a bit in the staffroom about how rude it was to toss them where I would see them. When I went into the classroom this evening I started right into the boys about "manners" and how they'd hurt my feelings. They understood, and were embarrassed, hiding their faces behind their bags. I said "you're not ostriches, get your head up and say 'sorry' to me!" They did.

And then I said "now you two will spend the rest of class eating everything in that wastepaper basket!"

No, I didn't.

Forgive their manners, Cathy. They're at the age where they're "too cool for school." Had they tasted the candies, they would have known what the rest of the class confirmed, they were delicious.

I hope everyone had a Happy Happy Love Love Day, and no one threw your stuff in the trash!

No comments: