Monday, May 01, 2006

Ouch!

Sometime last week I was thinking how great it was that I haven't been sick in SO long! Sure - I've had a little tummy trouble here and there, and I burned my finger and had a bit of a cough, but it was nothing, really. I was skipping to work every day feeling pretty GOOD! Even little Jesse sneezing right in my face a couple weeks ago didn't even make me sick!

But then Friday before work, just as I was almost out the door, I bent over to pick something up and there was a pop in my back. Or maybe it was a snap. Definitely not a crackle though. Something had happened in my lower back, and walking to school made me feel all crooked, like I was simultaneously sticking my butt out while tilting my pelvis inward. I don't even think that's possible, but that's how it felt. By the end of the day, the pain had wrapped down and around so that it gripped both my thighs in a strong "charley horse."

I laid pretty low all weekend. I did go downtown to meet C. and his friend on Saturday night, but I'd had a few "wobbly pops" so wasn't feeling too bad at all. We had some soju and then some beer and then a bit more beer at a noraebang, and I was ooooookkkkaaaayyy. When C. went to get the car, though (he had stopped drinking after a couple shots of soju way early in the night) I asked if it was ok if I waited for him and he came to get me. Even through the haze, I could feel my back protesting.

Sunday I really took it easy, spending most of the day lying down. I was still sore, and moving made me go "Aaaaarrrrggghhh" so I took it easy. This morning I initially felt quite a bit better, but the walk to work killed me. I had no idea my back was so bad! My legs were like jell-o, and I was shaking and dripping with sweat by the time I got there. I looked up "spasm" in the English-Korean dictionary and had my boss write a note I gave to the doctor after my 1st class. (I had a 40 minute break then.)

The doctor said "I think you'd better bed rest."
"Amen to that, doc!" I replied.
"Why do you cry?" he asked me.
"Because it hurts!" I explained.

I wasn't really crying as much as I was leaking. Water was just spilling out of my eyes a bit because my brain was ordering me to lie down, and repeating a mantra of "Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow!"

I scuttled back to work and sat down for a couple minutes before I told my boss I thought I had to go home. She let me. And here I am.

I hate taking a sick day. It's hard on the other teachers, and the kids whose classes I'm supposed to teach get all upset. I lingered a bit, wondering if I could hack it, but after looking at my pink pained eyes in the mirror I gave in.

I've gotta lie still now.

2 comments:

captain_howdy_girl said...

ahh you poor thing. :(
I'd give you a big hug but I don't want to make it worse.
I hate it when some stupid doctor asks, "why are you crying?"
No one can truly understand back pain until they have had it. It hurts to sit. it hurts to stand. you think lying down will be better then, even though you haven't moved BOOM you get a spasm!

Rory said...

Sounds like you need a back swing. For added enjoyment wear a Batman mask while you hang upside down.