Saturday, June 11, 2005

Happy Anniversary

So - it's been a year since I have been in Korea (pt. deux) and oh what a year it's been.

I had a nice day at school. I got pulled out of my last class with my students to share a cake the boss bought for me with a lone candle on the top. Everyone sang happy birthday to me. So I am one year old!

Then I went shopping with both of my co-workers and out to dinner that was their treat. We went to a cheap-o all-u-can-eat bbq restaurant. I liked it - LOVED the kimchi there - it was old-ish and sour, just like ah likes it.

Elizabeth was her usual zany self. She told a couple of jokes that weren't really jokes so much as cute Jesus-isms. One was about a priest who upon returning home to America after a life of serving in Africa, was disappointed in the turn-out of people to greet him. He admitted his sadness about not being welcomed home, until Jesus spoke to him and told him "you are not yet home."

Awwwwww.

I'm not convinced yet that my other co-worker understands anything that I say. I certainly have a very hard time understanding what she's saying to me.

I learned, while in Scotland, not to say people had a "thick" accent, because there, "thick" means stupid, whereas in Canada it just means heavy. Judy's accent is heavy. (And thick, hee hee hee!)

Ah well, 12 months gone and another 6 months ahead. Maybe more. Maybe not. It's nice that my boss would like me to stay 3 years, as they've told me, but I can't commit to it now. Six more months was all I could say for sure I'd be able to stay. We'll have to see how I feel about things as we get further along.

The rainy season has started.

And so has my weekend.

Ahhhhh!

No comments: