Friday, June 17, 2005

Icy Vampires

I am so lazy. This morning I actually spent time resenting my ice cube trays for not being able to fill themselves.

Last evening I stood at the bottom of the big-ass hill I have to climb up to get to my apartment every day (followed by 2 stories of stairs, 2 smaller hills, and 4 more stories of stairs) and contemplated buying a skateboard and hitching a ride on the bumper of one of the vehicles chugging up the hill.

Last summer, I actually requested the school's bus drive me up the hills after classes in August. I have "special classes" in August and January which means 8 hours of back to back classes. I do get out earlier than usual those months (the last kids' classes come in the afternoon because they aren't attending school) but after a week of slogging it up that hill while the sun was still out and arriving in my un-airconditioned super-hot apartment drenched and near fainting, I thought "screw this!" Now I have air-conditioning, though, so I'm going to try to hike it in the hellish humidity that's just around the corner. I'll probably walk in the door, crank the air-con, and proceed directly to a cold shower with my clothes on.

I'm a true-blue Canadian, and would take a -35 degree blizzard over a 35 degree jungle any day. Last summer we took the kids to Ooo-Bang Lang, an amusement park in Daegu, on what must have been the hottest day I have ever experienced. Just standing still, I was leaking sweat. How come kids are unaffected? They were all running around from ride to ride, yanking on my hands to try to get me to move faster. Riiiight.

I just now spent another lazy moment wishing these mosquitoes in my apartment were self-killing. Argh. I've gotta go kill vampires and re-fill ice cube trays.

No comments: