Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Hoarse

Well. I seemed to have coughed myself into a "no voice" situation! I vowed to myself that I wouldn't miss work unless I was actually physically unable to teach. I think "no voice" is a valid reason. Being able to speak (or often shout) at the students is how I can initiate some learnin' in them. Expecting me to teach without the pipes is like asking a concert pianist to work with broken hands. Or a baseball pitcher to throw with a broken arm. Or a blind referee to make good calls. (You get the picture)

I knew something was up when I woke up early this morning (coughing) and spoke to my cat and it came out only as a whisper. I tested it out, clearing my raw throat, gargling with salt water (my mom's remedy) "*ahem," and still, no sound. So I went back to sleep and woke up a couple hours later with the same result. I called my boss.

"Hi," I squeaked. "I lost my voice"
"Jenny?"
"Yes, hi. I lost my voice. I don't think I can teach today."
"What?"

You can imagine more conversation that went pretty much like that. My boss suggested "I think you'd better go to the doctor." (I was just there yesterday, but,..)
"Ok, I can." (Silence) "I can." (More Silence.) "Karen? I can."
"Why can't you?"
"No, I CAN"
"Why not?"
"I CAN! I CAN!" I whispered. (Silence that seemed annoyed.)
(Changing tactics) "I WILL!"
"Ok."

So I did. The doc listened to my chest and looked in my throat, and told me "I think you better not speaking."
"Amen, brother," I rasped.

I got another ass-injection AND a big injection in the big vein on the top of my HAND! So you know it's got to be serious. I actually don't feel TOO bad, just silly-tired.

So after my tea, I'm putting myself down for a nap.

1 comment:

Jelly said...

Thank you for your well wishes. I don't know about Slipery Elm (I wouldn't know where to begin to find it,) BUT we have a lot of slippery EEL! It's killed when it's all live and slippery, and then grilled, and actually tastes good, though I prefer the Japanese version of unagi-sushi.

I doubt either will help my thoat. They're just glorified sea snakes, but thank you for commenting!

When I was back home I thought Fisherman's Friend lozenges were pretty cool. I have a hard on for the thought of sugar free cinnamon apple....so if anyone in the states wants to hook me up.....let me know!