Monday, December 05, 2005

More Cookin' With Jelly

I spent the day napping pretty much. This illness has really tired me out. I feel really lethargic, but I think the medicine is working because my chest doesn't ache AS much, even though I'm more phlegmy. Flemmy. I'm flemilicious.

Speaking of 'icious,' after finally finishing up the quarterly reports I brought home with me (I'll have more to do either tomorrow night or Tuesday) I made some deeeeelicious dinner. Just because I was curious about the existence of thick pork chops, I got the butchers at Wal-Mart to hook me up on Friday. I gestured with my thumb and index finger as to how thick I wanted them, and they brought me back 4 little chops that were thicker than I meant, but it turned out fine, as I cooked them perfectly tonight. So if you want an easy recipe for pork chops or even chicken breasts, try this!

Brown your chops on a high heat. Season them with salt, pepper, powdered garlic, nutmeg if you like. Anything is ok. Once they're all nice and golden, toss in a generous splash of white wine. Let that bubble awhile to boil the alcohol off. You could even try this with soju of you're in Korea and feeling adventurous. Then throw in a half can of chicken broth. Bring it back to a boil, then lower the flame right down, cover the pan, and let it simmer for, say, 10 or 15 minutes (depending on how thick your chop is. I like mine just a little pink in the centre.) Remove the chops on to a plate, and add to the liquid in the pan about a cup or so of cream mixed with some cornstarch, maybe a couple teaspoons worth. Fire up the heat and the sauce will thicken all beige coloured. Add the chops back to the pan once the sauce is thick enough and voila!

I ate mine on a plate with some rice and barley, and some steamed spinach. I also had a nice big chilled bowl of tomatoes, onions, basil, and garlic soaked in balsamic vinegar, a splash of anchovy sauce, and a little bit of olive oil.

Sunday dinners are good.

No comments: