Saturday, December 03, 2005

I Learn Something New

Everyday. Pretty much!

Today I learned that bean sprouts have been recalled in Ontario. Wow! From the Toronto Star:
"Most of the 506 cases the province is examining are in the Toronto area, but the people who may have consumed contaminated mung bean sprouts — and experienced the severe stomach cramping, diarrhea, fever and nausea that result from contracting Salmonella enteritidis bacteria — are spread across the province. Although not normally lethal, the bacteria can kill the very young, elderly and those with weak immune systems."

This article notes that bean sprouts are not being offered on menus around town. Did you know "sprouts pose a special challenge because of the way they are grown?" (taken from the first article I liked to.) "You take the seeds and you sprout them under conditions of high moisture and high temperature. Those conditions are ideal for microorganisms to grow as well."

Well, I did not know that!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Evil bean sprouts.

I don't know why, but I actually really hated bean sprouts in Canada. I'd go out of my way to ask they not be in any dish I ordered at a restaurant. In Korea, though, I LOVE them, and eat them all the time. They don't taste the same as back home. I never thought there could be a risk of contracting salmonella from bean sprouts. Now I do. Hmm.

I went to the doctor yesterday and was told I have bronchitis. This makes sense, as I didn't think a common cold could make my lungs hurt as bad as they have for a week. I wouldn't go to the docs for just a cold, even though people around me here kept telling me I should. Anyhow, I got some cough syrup (first time ever in Korea!) and 18 pills to take per day for the next 3 days. They seem to be working. Bravo doctor.

And yes, I gotz me an ass-injection. No visit to the doctor would be complete here without one.

5 comments:

Maven said...

Whether ass-injection or a surprise rectal exam, yes, no doctor's visit would be complete without one:)

Did you know that you can contract Salmonella or e-Coli from cantaloupe as well? I scrub all my fruits and veggies with a dobie pad and Dawn dish detergent, just to be on the safe side. Rinsing thoroughly, of course!

Kevin Kim said...

Yikes, J, I hope you get better soon!

Should I pick up some sirop d'érable for you while I'm in the States?


Kevin

Jelly said...

Ha ha, I'm not sure maple syrup would help with my bronchitis, but DAMN that stuff sure is tasty on hotcakes, eh? (Actually, I'm not terribly fond of either.)

While you're in the States, though, please pick me up some Jockey underwear, some large wedges of delicious cheese (something smoked - a gruyere or a gouda, a nippy cheddar, and a block of parmesean or romano. Oh, and some mizithra) a few sticks of anti-perspirant, some triscuits, a couple bags of some cheezie snacks (I'm SO South Park's Cartman,) and some pretty womens shoes, maybe 3 or 4 pairs, sized 10, fat round or square toe and clunky.

Thanks, doll.

zandperl said...

Ass injections? Oh my. Y'know, you ARE allowed to reject a suggested treatment...

Jelly said...

a