Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Breakfast

My title is a little misleading. It's not really Easter in Korea per se. 'Round here we calls it "Sunday." And, though this was the first thing I ate today, I didn't eat it until almost five o'clock - so it was a lot more like dinner than breakfast. Technicalities. Whatever.
Photobucket
Fried Eggs with Oyster Sauce and Chili

Have you ever heard of this? I hadn't until I happened upon a post over at the Steamy Kitchen. Yummy! Reading through the comments I realize that eggs and oyster sauce isn't an unheard of phenomenon - but I would never have thought of it. I hope Jayden doesn't mind, but I'm going to copy her instructions on how to make this easy and tasty dish.

from Simple Chinese Cooking by Kylie Kwong

4 free range eggs
2 tbls oyster sauce + 1 tbl water, mixed
pinch ground pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
1-2 chilies, finely sliced
3 tbl cooking oil

Carefully crack eggs into a bowl. Heat oil in wok on high heat until surface seems to shimmer slightly. Pour eggs into hot oil. After 1 minute, reduce heat to medium, allowing the underside of the egg to become firm and crisp. The yolks should still be runny at this point. Cook 1 more minute. Gently slide eggs off plate, trying to keep excess oil in wok. Drizzle eggs with oyster sauce. Season with pepper. Garnish with chili and scallions. Serve immediately.

I threw a little drizzle of sesame oil in with the oyster sauce. It was good!

See this?
Photobucket

It's some frozen toaster waffle I found at HomePlus. I thought, "Right on! Leggo my Eggo!" But, this is not Eggo. This is an organic multi-grain vegan trans-fat-free egg-free cholesterol-free dairy-free delicious-free waffle that tastes like cardboard after you toast it. That's not entirely true. It tastes like reconstituted cardboard with sawdust added for extra dryness. Four of the six that were contained in the package are languishing in my freezer. I'm going to test how well they do as frisbees and whip them off my balcony and into the forest.

Now these, on the other hand, are not Eggos either.
Photobucket

They're delicious and they would kick Eggo's frozen ass in a rumble. They were made by yours truly on this cool sandwich maker/grill/waffle iron I was gifted last week. I'm going to make all kinds of waffles on this bad boy of mine. Yummiliciousness.

No comments: