Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Ootheca Watch

Now that the weather's warming up and it seems spring has sprung, I've been keeping an eye on the ootheca that was laid last October by a big fat mama mantis.
Photobucket

So far, there haasn't been much happening, but that's what the ootheca looked like on Saturday night. From what I've read, it'll be pretty lucky if I catch the mini mantii escaping from their nest. They come out as tiny versions of their parents, but they scatter away very quickly.

I only pass the nest once a day on my way to work, but I always stop - give it a gentle pet with my fingertip and quietly say "oooootheca" to it. I think it will help with their development if they know where they are and that everything's alllllright in the oooootheca.

1 comment:

Michael Lehet said...

Have you seen these little guys yet?