Monday, February 26, 2007

WCB - 90 -Poor Kitty

I think WCB - Weekend Cat Blogging is supposed to be a happy event, but sometimes - eh - life isn't so happy. A cat got my attention the other night with his loud sad meows. (I don't know if it was a boy - but let's call him that.) He was with a group of cats, it seemed. One was being his buddy, joining him to lick him and cuddle a bit in an alley. Someone came walking through though and startled the cats. Buddy ran off, and the cat with the loud meows hopped under a parked car and continued wailing. It was apparent he had a very badly broken leg. It was dark, caked with blood and dragged uselessly behind him.

I crossed the street and sat on the curb in front of the car he was under and spoke soothingly - hoping he'd come out. He replied with pathetic meows. So I went down the street to the convenience store and bought a can of tuna, hoping that would coax him out.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
You can see some of the damage to his back leg.

If I sat far enough away and kept very quiet for some time, he'd come out and nibble at the tuna. As soon as he realized I was watching him, though, he'd limp back under the car. I lay on my stomach to take the picture of him. I hoped he would come out so I could gather him up in my coat, take him back to my place, (which would freak Kami out greatly) put him in a carrier, and take him to the vet in the morning. Or maybe I could hire a taxi to take us to a 24 hour clinic downtown. I'm not sure there is such a thing, but perhaps.

But he would NOT come out. I sat there shivering and sniffling. I finally gave up after about an hour and a half after someone came by and spoke to me and the cat took off. I hoped at least he wouldn't go too far away and would come back and eat something. I've passed by the area since where he was and called to him, but haven't heard any sad meows in response. I hope he's alright, but I can't see how he would be in the long run. He was so thin and hurt. Poor kitty.

The next day, on my way to work - a healthy cat leapt out of the bush I was passing. Can you spot him? He's quite camoflaugey!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I know what I'd do if I won the lottery. I would open up cat shelters here and start a massive PR campaign about animals and adopting rescued ones. Especially cats. Most Koreans fear them. (My students tell me it's their eyes that frighten them.) If I could, I'd take them all in. Yes - I'd end up being known as the Old Maid with 74 cats, but so be it! I'm realistic, though, and having one big rescue cat to care for is all I can manage right now. I came home that cold night after seeing the cat with the broken leg and petted Kamikaze, telling him what a lucky boy he is,...and how lucky I am that I found him.

For more catblogginess, go visit Kate in the Kitchen! Thanks, Kate and cats - for hosting this round!

3 comments:

sammawow said...

That was so kind of you to try to help that poor kitty. It's so sad when an animal is hurt and they don't know that we are trying to help them. Glad he had some tuna!

Anonymous said...

sad story, poor kitty, i hope you meet him again.
The Old Maid with 74 cats...if my husband did not stop me, i will be the same !

annie said...

That's such a sad story. My mom is a cat lady, and as she's stocking my house back home with cats in my absence, I'm well on my way to becoming the same. Check them out: http://segapaws.blogspot.com.