Friday, March 24, 2006

Blister

Last night, while cooking dinner, some oil splattered up out of the pan and on to my ring finger with a big splat. I quickly stuck it under the tap, but it really hurt!

This morning, I woke up with a HUGE blister. Actually TWO.
I Got 2 Blisters.
The smaller one is from nail to the 1st knuckle in, and the second covers my whole finger from 1st to 2nd knuckle. Gross.

The Korean word for blister is lovely. "Mool-jip," means "water house," I've been told. Isn't that precious and accurate?

Anyhow, things got seriously more disgusting this morning when I was preparing my breakfast. I was cooking up some delicious soon doobu jjighae - seafood and soft tofu soup - and I was nearing the final stage when I crack an egg into a shallow dish and gently lower it into the simmering soup so it can poach. Just as the egg left the dish I felt my hand get seriously wet.

My blister had broken and gushed into the soup.

Would you judge me if I told you it was delicious anyways?

All day, the big blister has leaked and sealed and leaked and sealed again. It doesn't actually hurt very much at all. When one kid pressed on it in my 4th class it actually opened up and squirted a student sitting a couple feet away from me.

The poor kid looked like she was going to cry after that.
Can't say that I blame her!

1 comment:

Maven said...

Hey, every chef puts a little bit of themselves in every dish they prepare; however! I think they mean that, FIGURATIVELY!